Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Recently watched, currently watching and obliged to presently watch

It's been a busy, busy couple of weeks with a lot of research done and hardly anytime to post anything or more importantly, watch anything. Hardly, I said. I managed to squeeze enough time to watch Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, the superhero flick, Hellboy, the ok-thriller, The Game and finally, Super Size Me, about which I made a post recently.

I guess all four are pretty good movies in their own genre. I was actually quite disappointed with The Game, which I had really high expectations of. I had always caught only the first half-hour or so of it in Star Movies back home, quite a few years back, and it always left me very intrigued. These sort of thrillers work in such a way that only a big pay-off at the climax would logically satisfy the happenings early-on in the movie. Well, I'm sorry to report that the ending in this one pretty much destroys the movie.

A lot of people have mentioned that Hellboy is the best superhero movie/comic-book adaptation and I can see that they have a point. Though, the movie does let down in the end (again!), it is over-all a pretty whimsical and fun superhero flick, without every descending into camp. Good fun!

A Clockwork Orange: Kubrick definitely uses his soundtrack amazing well, in his movies that I've seen so far (2001 and this. I've also seen Dr. Strangelove, but that was a long time back and I don't remember too much). The music along with the opening shot in this movie pretty much ensured that I wouldn't take my eyes off the screen till the movie ended. A definite must-see this...

...which brings me to the movies I still have to see. Continuing my Kubrick festival, next up is The Shining. Then, I have the classic (and looooong) director's cut of Das Boot, often called one of the best war movies. After that, it will be two relatively newer movies: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which plagiarized its name from this blog (and not the other way round as most people might imagine!) and Glengarry Glen Ross, one of those rivetting dialogue driven thrillers.

In other news, I also read Yann Martel's Life of Pi. Very fascinating read. I can't for the life of me figure out whether the whole story is made up or (slight spoiler) only that version of the story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home